May Book Review

I have a huge list of books that I want to read, but I find myself distracted by activities that requires less attention at the end of the work day.  I used to read a lot as a child (Nancy Drew mysteries were my all time favorite), but now I'm lucky if I'm able to squeeze in half a dozen books in a year.  I always tell myself that 30 minutes a day spent reading is easily attainable--and for me, it should be; but I get distracted by social media or Words With Friends on my phone, or catching up with various shows on DVR.  Either way, I need to improve my reading attendance, especially since I have a pile of books to get through!

It's a new month, so I'm going to set a goal to read one book per month and then write a short review of it as proof.  Without further adieu, this is what I read in May accompanied by a short list of what I'm currently reading.  I've always had a habit of starting multiple books at once, even as a kid.


GEISHA OF GION: THE TRUE STORY OF JAPAN'S FOREMOST GEISHA: 4/5 Stars

I bought this book at my local library's used book sale because my recent travel to Japan was still fresh in my mind.  This memoir follows the life of Mineko Iwasaki, who was one of Japan's most prominent geikos of her time.  I love the simplistic and matter-of-fact writing style that Iwasaki uses and that she takes the time to explain the traditions of living and training to become a professional geiko; it allows those of us who are not familiar with this aspect of Japanese culture to gain some insight into these customs. She begins her memoir at a young age and transitions through her adolescence into adulthood, describing the intense amount of dedication and discipline that is required of a maiko (geiko in training) before she "graduates" to becoming a geiko.  She also mentions that she found many of the customs restrictive, which ultimately led to her departure from geiko society.  I would have liked to know more about how she tried to influence change in her profession, but if you're interested in Japanese culture, this is a unique view into one aspect of it.

What I'm currently reading:
Rise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars

All the Light We Cannot See

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to "Corking Around"

Adriatic Vacation Instagram Roundup

Buttermilk Biscuits